CooLYar Forums - A Friendly Community by CooLYar
Waqas

Writing Cover Letter

The cover letter is an introduction of your resume and it links your resume to the job being advertised

It’s the 1st impression that you make with the employer so do the very best you can.

The ultimate goal of the cover letter and resume is to be invited for an interview.

You should always submit a cover letter. Take the time to compose an impressive letter specific to the position and the company or organization to which you are applying. (Sometimes a broadcast letter will have to work.)

Your opening paragraph should make mention of why you are writing. You are enclosing your resume for their consideration of a particular job, or type of job you are seeking, and make reference to where you read, or heard of the position being offered, or where it was posted.

Where possible, address it to a specific person, with their position title & company name.

Read the job posting and use exact words or buzz words from the ad in your letter, but only if those words apply to you. Do not use terminology that isn’t you, this will show up in your inter-view.

Avoid the overuse of the word “Iâ€.

Do not use abbreviations or short forms in your personalized header or in your letter.

Use the same bond paper in your resume and letter, and use an 8 ½ x 11 envelope - do not fold.

Check spelling and grammar and especially the correct spelling of names. Read the letter aloud to yourself to make sure it flows smoothly.

Paper clip your cover letter to the front of your 2 page resume, which is stapled together.

Salutation

Include employer’s name, address, the specific person addressed to, and their job title.

Subject Line

Mention the specific job title being offered and underline it to emphasize importance.

Introduction

Explain why you are writing (the specific job), what you have enclosed (resume), and where you heard of the opening (website, newspaper).

Body

Highlight your strengths and abilities while giving examples of your skills, which should directly relate to the position. Show the employer that you meet their qualifications and explain what you can do for them, not what they could do for you.

Closing

Keep it short but polite. Express interest in an interview and indicate how the company can reach you by indicating your telephone number; perhaps in bold print. Mention a date when the employer can expect a follow-up to your letter, and how it will be made, usually a telephone call will do.

Finally

Sign the cover letter using a pen.

Attachments

A Letter of Recommendation is excellent and employers frequently ask for a transcript of marks. Paper clip attachments behind the resume.

Broadcast Letter

A general letter that an applicant sends out to a large number of companies. It is not specifically geared to any particular company or job posting, but provides an overview of the applicant’s skills as they might apply to the companies’ needs

Below is a attached Cover letter writing format

Cover_Letter.doc

Good Luck!

oh wow lolz.. its perfect for me since i am a resident of Ontario..

Cover letter doesn't have to be a whole page.. it can be a less..

salam 2 all

very nice n informative waqas

Regards

its me

AD

Following is my own Cover Letter I used to apply for job :P You can use it freely, but it needs little changes :)

Prime Telecom (Pvt) Limited,

Lahore.

Re: Position – Assistant Manager

Dear Sir,

Please accept and consider my enclosed resume for Assistant Manager as advertised in Daily News on August 14, 2005.  I have been seeking an opportunity such as this and I believe my background and your requirements are a perfect match.

I am a dedicated, reliable, and motivated individual, with exceptional communication skills both written and verbal accompanied with great organizational skills.  My academic training has provided me with excellent skills.

From my resume, you will find that my qualifications meet the requirements you’ve outlined for this position.  I possess experience in ___________. I work well both individually and as part of a team. My employment experience has allowed me to develop excellent communication skills, organization skills, and time management skills.

I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you to further discuss my suitability for this position in a personal interview.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours truly,

Muhammad Waqas

Encl: Detailed Resume

I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you to further discuss my suitability for this position in a personal interview.

This is the primary objective of the cover letter to convince employer to call you for interview.

Hope You Will Find it Useful.

Well Waqas, its a nice Cover letter but if u or Cute needs a job as an Assistant supervisor for 19.5/ hr then u can contact me coz i am interviewin next week as i am leaving so they need sumone fillin my position... i wont need ur cover letters

I will ask just five question if u can amswer those u r the one then

lolz..i copied urs..n guess wat..igave it 2 my friend..n he got a job in a telecomcompany....lolz

wow thats Great :yes: im happy kisi ko tu faida hua from my work :)

I posted mine bcoz Pakis are good in copying :D

By the way im also working in a telecom company :angel:

wait for more . :drive2:

lolz...yeah,...they sure r...

woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! u guys are amazingly intellectual... :D Thanks for sharing such cool info!

What not to say in an application

There are no "mistakes" only "valuable lessons"

Never say "never" but always mention your "achievement", is the advice for job hunters trying to fill in application forms.

Admissions advisers and psychologists at the University of Hertfordshire have drawn up a list of the 10 top words to make a good impression in applications.

They have also listed the 10 worst words, including "hate" and "nothing".

This advice also tells applicants not to say "mistakes" but to mention their "valuable lessons".

'Don't panic'

If applicants are worried about having too many valuable lessons, the Hertfordshire academics also recommend avoiding other less than positive words, such as "panic", "problems" and "awful".

APPLICATION FORM WORDS

10 Best: Achievement, active, developed, evidence, experience, impact, individual, involved, planning, transferable skills

10 Worst: Always, awful, bad, fault, hate, mistake, never, nothing, panic, problems

None of these words are good ways of selling your skills to employers, suggest the academics.

If you want to push more positive buttons, there is a list of feel-good words for applications, which will produce a more appreciative reaction.

These good words include "experience", "involved", "planning" and "developed".

The advisers say companies or universities will see many similar application letters - and that the choice of language generates a positive or negative impression.

For instance, over-emphatic words such as "never" and "always" could give a negative impression that "the applicant is making an exaggeration which is seldom true".

"Every recruiter and admissions officer will have to assess hundreds if not thousands of personal statements from hopeful applicants and will make their decisions based on what they can see on paper.

"Choosing the right words is therefore vitally important if your application is to stand out from the rest," says Karen Pine, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire.

The cover letter is an introduction of your resume and it links your resume to the job being advertised

It’s the 1st impression that you make with the employer so do the very best you can.

The ultimate goal of the cover letter and resume is to be invited for an interview.

You should always submit a cover letter.  Take the time to compose an impressive letter specific to the position and the company or organization to which you are applying. (Sometimes a broadcast letter will have to work.)

Your opening paragraph should make mention of why you are writing.  You are enclosing your resume for their consideration of a particular job, or type of job you are seeking, and make reference to where you read, or heard of the position being offered, or where it was posted.

Where possible, address it to a specific person, with their position title & company name.

Read the job posting and use exact words or buzz words from the ad in your letter, but only if those words apply to you.  Do not use terminology that isn’t you, this will show up in your inter-view.

Avoid the overuse of the word “I”.

Do not use abbreviations or short forms in your personalized header or in your letter.

Use the same bond paper in your resume and letter, and use an 8 ½ x 11 envelope - do not fold.

Check spelling and grammar and especially the correct spelling of names.  Read the letter aloud to yourself to make sure it flows smoothly.

Paper clip your cover letter to the front of your 2 page resume, which is stapled together.

Salutation

Include employer’s name, address, the specific person addressed to, and their job title.

Subject Line

Mention the specific job title being offered and underline it to emphasize importance.

Introduction

Explain why you are writing (the specific job), what you have enclosed (resume), and where you heard of the opening (website, newspaper).

Body

Highlight your strengths and abilities while giving examples of your skills, which should directly relate to the position.  Show the employer that you meet their qualifications and explain what you can do for them, not what they could do for you.

Closing

Keep it short but polite.  Express interest in an interview and indicate how the company can reach you by indicating your telephone number; perhaps in bold print.  Mention a date when the employer can expect a follow-up to your letter, and how it will be made, usually a telephone call will do.

Finally

Sign the cover letter using a pen.

Attachments

A Letter of Recommendation is excellent and employers frequently ask for a transcript of marks. Paper clip attachments behind the resume.

Broadcast Letter

A general letter that an applicant sends out to a large number of companies.  It is not specifically geared to any particular company or job posting, but provides an overview of the applicant’s skills as they might apply to the companies’ needs

Below is a attached Cover letter writing format

Cover_Letter.doc

Good Luck!

152509[/snapback]

very informative..but i already have got the job in PIA by the grace of God :D

Good informative posting which will help lots of memebers..Jazak Allah

me 2 ..i am also working ..so i hope i never need to make another resume, covering letter or attend a dreaded interview ever again.

Awaara jee MashahAllah, hope you get all the success u need and all ur prayers answered. AMEEN. Awaara jee..aesa karen wahaan apne dosto ke naam likha de..MUJHE FREE TICKET chayeh :yippee: :flower: :P :D

ek tip zaroor doongi..Kaam dil laga kar kariyeh ga, PIA ki kuch baatein humne bi suni hein :laughing: ...just kidding !!